Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Vampire Diaries


As much as I would like to devote hours upon hours to perfecting an absolutely fabulous post about this new CW show, alas, work calls with even more demand this week as my horde of bosses live it up in New York City for Promax while I stew here in their absence, covering all their non-stop phone calls and emails. If I sound bitter, I am.

Ok, enough whining. Now for some classic CW eye-candy. Below you can check out an extended preview for The Vampire Diaries. Go on, you know you want to look...





Ok, now back to the whining. I read this series, first published 1991, as a young teenager. When this story was first published, it was released in four different books (The Awakening, The Struggle, The Fury and Dark Reunion). Check out a couple of the original covers below.


More recently, most likely due to the success of Twilight, Harper re-published the series in two different books, two volumes per book. Again, please review a couple of the newer covers below. The second one, if you're curious, is a fifth volume that Smith just released, also probably due to the success of Twilight.


Now, does anyone here notice anything wrong with this picture, when compared to our lovely extended preview? If you're thinking, "Oh, isn't it odd that Elena has dark brown hair in the show and yet, both sets of covers show her with light blond hair", you are a very clever person indeed. In the books, Elena is described as "cool, BLONDE and slender". When Damon first shows himself in crow form, unknown to the reader or to Elena, his "wings ruffling her blonde hair", the reader is now pretty sure she is...what?...oh that's right, BLONDE! There is a lot of room for adaption between a book and television series, but that aspect of Elena, that her hair is a beautiful, sleek blonde and that she has stunning blue (sometimes described as lapis lazuli) eyes, is something that is described a ton throughout the books. I'm guessing it was Smith's way of enhancing the physical differences between her and the two dark, Italian vampire brothers. Needless to say, the fact that she is brunette in the show - not a choice I'm happy with or anyone else should be happy with either.

Despite that fact, I am actually very excited about this show. I'm not sure how they are going to pull off more than one season worth of material, but I'm guessing they will probably change around a lot of stuff. For instance, Damon seems to be around starting from nearly the beginning, but in the books, he doesn't show himself out of crow form until much later. Also, Stefan doesn't have ANY friends in town, so I'm not sure who the man is that he is speaking with in the preview.

These books don't hold a candle to Meyer's writing in Twilight, but out of two series, they are without a doubt the best choice to adapt into a show. In fact, The CW is a perfect network to show it, seeing as the books now come off as beginning a little to YOUNG adult, emphasis on the young. It should do quite well with that audience. Don't get me wrong, I watch the CW (Smallville and Supernatural) and have since I was 15 or so, but it definitely caters to a certain type of market. One that should gobble this series right up.

So, what do you think? Yea or nay? Are we loving the fact that Ian Somerhalder, famous LOST veteran, is starring as the deliciously dangerous Damon? I know I am.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.