Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Scoop o' News

I begin this post with a piece of devastating news. Andy Hallet, who played Lorne on Angel, died Sunday night from heart failure. Lorne was a fan favorite on Angel and one it's most endearing and colorful characters (literally). Personally, I believe the show was at it's best when he was on screen and he was a key part of some of the best episodes. He is in our thoughts and he will be be sorely missed.

For more information, go here.

Here is a small scene from Season 2 of Angel, featuring the great talents of Andy Hallet.








In other, lighter news, the premiere for True Blood season 2 has been confirmed for June 14th. Some new photos from the second season have been posted online and they are getting me seriously keyed up. Bring on the gore, sex and forbidden love!


For more pics, go here.


Alyson Hannigan and Alexis Denisof are the proud parents of a baby girl, Satyana Denisof! She was born March 24th, giving her the same birthday as her mother. Congrats to the new mommy and daddy!
Side note: Not that I don't LOVE Alyson and Alexis, but seriously, what is WITH celebrities and crazy baby names? It's like the two just go hand in hand. Sheesh.


TV Review


What's Getting Good:

1) Dollhouse. Since the first episodes, which were ok but lacked the tell-tale Joss greatness, I have held onto the hope that we would soon start to see a story that pulled deeply to us, one like Buffy's story and Angel's story and Malcolm Reynolds' story. Even like Dr. Horrible's story. As was expected, my faith has been rewarded and Dollhouse is now blowing me away each week. I cannot wait to see more of it, especially when it comes to the obviously damaged, but incredibly intriguing eye-candy that is Paul Ballard. Ummmm...Tahmoh.






2) Heroes. Yes, I know, I know. Most people are SO over this show. But if you were EVER going to give it a second chance, now is the time. Bryan Fuller is officially back on the writing team, the story is starting to level out and our characters are slowly coming back to themselves. Sylar is finally over his daddy issues and back in the Fugitives game and just as I suspected, he is teaming up with Danko. What was unexpected in this development is the hilarity that the two evil masterminds bring to their evil plans. Who would have thought those two dark and sinister characters could bring out the chuckles?




3) Supernatural. We are finally back to the real struggle. Angels vs demons vs humans. The "been there, done that" filler episodes have been benched and we are now getting back to the nitty-gritty, ploughing inevitably towards the season's final battle between our favorite Winchester brothers and also an unknown character death. Let me just say, if it's Bobby, I'm writing a strongly worded email to the writers.






What's Losing It:

1) Castle. I'm not 100% decided on this show yet and it's still entertaining enough but something new needs to be introduced into the formula to keep this show from turning boring and repetitive. As you know, I'm all for Nathan Fillion and his performance is as witty and adorable as usual, but the truth's the truth.




What's New:

1) Kings. So far, so good. I'm not really one for politics and that's certainly what this show seems to be centering on, but even that doesn't keep me from enjoying it. It has a unique way of spinning an unoriginal idea (the noble man/soldier against a corrupt city/government) and making it seem original, mostly due to the fact that it looks like our world, it feels like our world, but it's not our world. But it COULD be our world. It contains surprisingly deep and complex characters and behind them all lurk dark and mysterious secrets. It's compelling, interesting and not without it's own baby-faced, handsome hero.




2) Cupid. It premieres tonight so I'll keep you updated. The main reason I am giving this show a try is because it's Rob Thomas' (Veronica Mars) baby and I know what that man can do. So far the reviews haven't been great, but I'm willing to see for myself. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.