Friday, August 22, 2008

The Chain



Today's QotD is from an early issue of the Buffy Season 8 comics. This is one of the few comics that doesn't actually have Buffy in it. It centers on a Buffy decoy who gives her life for her cause, for Buffy's cause, and to help her sister slayers. This section is at the very end of the issue, written from the unknown slayer's point of view. It was an excellent issue. #5, I think.

"WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?"
But that's not the point. There's always a name. Lincoln. Hitler. Ganghi. The name can inspire terror, awe... somtimes great things. But there's millions of people go into making a name. People facing things they couldn't imagine they would. In the moments that matter, even our own names are just sounds people make to tell us apart. What we are isn't that. The real questions run deeper. Can I fight? Did I help? Did I do for my sisters? My comrades, children...There is a chain, between each and every one of us. And like the man said, you either feel its tug or you ignore it. I tried to feel it. I tried to face the darkness like a woman and I don't need any more than that. You don't have to remember me. You don't even know who I am. But I do.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.