Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Firefly



Ok, so I discovered my becoming/soon-to-be obsession; Joss Whedon's Firefly. I am a HUGE Joss fan, as most of you know, so I am sure you are surprised that I have never actually seen even one episode of Firefly. It just isn't my genre. I'm not really partial to westerns or science fiction, let alone the two mixed. I come to find that even a show that is completely out of my preferred genre, as long as it's Joss, I'm going to love it. And I do. I love it. I love Nathan Fillion and the whole cast. I love the writing and the grand sets. I love the COMMENTARIES! My rather substantial rear barely left the couch last night after I finally received my box set in the mail. I was sucked in, from the very first battle scene, from the faith-destroying look that Mal gives us as he realizes that no matter how hard he fought, in the end it was all for nothing, that he was being betrayed by the cause he would have happily given his life for. That look was it. As his people died around him, he stood stone still, as if at that moment all the good was washing out of him. It was hard to tear my eyes away from the screen long enough to get a nice big bowl of low-fat ice cream, but I managed. It was even harder to turn it off and make myself go to bed, but sleep is necessary for me to function. So, special for you today, a couple quotes from my new favorite show.

Jayne: "Testing, testing. Captain, can you hear me?"
Mal: "I'm standing right here."
Jayne: "You're coming through good and loud."
Mal: " 'Cause I'm standing right here."

Mal: "Well, what about you, Shepherd? How come you're flying about with us brigands? I mean, shouldn't you be off bringing religiosity to the Fuzzie-Wuzzies or some such?"
Book: "Oh, I got heathens aplenty right here."
Mal: "If I'm your mission, Shepherd, best give it up. You're welcome on my boat. God ain't."

Inara: (pissed) "What did I say to you about barging into my shuttle?"
Mal: "That it was manly and impulsive?"
Inara: "Yes, precisely. Only the exact phrase I used was 'don't'."

Zoe: "Proximity alert. Must be coming up on something."
Wash: (alarmed) "Oh my god. What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing!?" (deadpan) "Oh right, that would be me. Back to work.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.