Friday, August 8, 2008

Your Mom's on 49th Street!

When I first stepped out into the sunlight from the Penn Station subway and looked around at the city of New York for the first time, I had two words for it: crowded and overwhelming. That first day was the worst, I must admit, but things went uphill from there, thankfully. As the days past and I saw more and more of the city, more and more words came to me: amazing, eye-popping, awe-inspiring, beautiful. The list goes on and on. By the time my trip was almost over, I was split in half. One half wanted to "get the hell outta this crazy town!" The other half never wanted to leave. The lights, the people, the stores, the buildings...I could look at them all day and never feel bored or unimpressed.

I found heaven while I was there. The first time I walked around Times Square at night, I was like a mythological dragon curling it's body around it's vast pile of riches. The lights and the billboards and the stores were like gold and silver and jewels to my eyes. I wanted to wrap my mind around them and never stop staring and never give them up. It was difficult to leave that final night; with all the lights and excitement swirling around me. It's a sight you will never forget.

I found hell there also. It was dream-like, walking from my newly discovered heaven to this newly found hell. Just one flight down and the air turns sticky and outrageously hot. You can barely breathe and there are people crowded everywhere. The subway. Horrible place. Too bad since that's where I spent most of my time while I was there.

I want to give a shout out to my two tour guide, Charlie and Kristina. You guys are the best! Thanks for showing me your city and walking around with me until our ankles fell off.


Here are a couple pictures from my adventures.





No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.