Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It's Been a Long Time, Mr. Button...

Well, I hardly know what to write. I figure I have forgotten how to blog. If you assume that blogging is like riding a bike, well then...you'd be correct. I can feel it coming back to me, even now...

Let's skip the usual apology, shall we? I'm not sorry that I haven't had the time to blog to you. That just means that I haven't been forced to spend all my days sitting at a computer, inputting data and booking sessions for my gracious producers. And thank heaven for that. I've had more important things going on during this holiday season. I've had Christmas shopping to do with my dad, pumpkin pies to bake and drunken boys to fend off (though in a most loving way). I've had giggles to give, presents to open and cats to adore. I've fought off pitbulls from the bed, a softening heart and too many added holiday pounds. Most importantly, I have had too much Rock Band and Guitar Hero to play, too much Lost season 1 to catch up on and too many pages of my book to get lost in. All these things are infinitely better than my relatively boring desk job, so no people, I am not sorry I haven't had the time to write to you. And just between us, I'm guessing you're not that sorry either. Shhhhh...

I will, in a minor make-it-up-to-you way, give a quick review of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. And when I say "quick", I mean "quick"...




My The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Review:


If you go searching for reviews on this film, you'll find them mightily contradicting. It seems to me that most people either love this film or they hate it. I happen to be the exception. I'm what you would call indifferent towards the film. It didn't leave any lasting impression on me and I didn't walk out of the theater feeling...well...much of anything. And that my friends, will just not do. You know a film has touched you when you walk out of the theater and you almost get run down by a slow moving car because your mind is still roaming and gliding through the film's story. You think on the film long after you've left the dark escapism of your theater seat. It stays with you for awhile and when someone asks you how you liked the movie, your eyes slowly come back into focus and then you can't stop talking about it. That, my good people, is a magnificent, moving film. I didn't feel that as I finally, after 3 hours, walked away from Mr. Brad Button. With a couple complaining boys at my heels, I left the theater and immediately returned to reality. And I just HATE that. Now, that being said, the movie wasn't bad. Not bad at all. In fact, I enjoyed watching it. It was a beautiful and interesting (dare I say...curious...) film and there's nothing like staring at a slowly transforming into hotter and younger Brad Pitt for 3 hours. I even had to fight from weeping a little at the end. It never once got boring and it was a fascinating and original story. Still, as moving as this film could have been, it just didn't quite make it there. It was more of a novelty than real love, so the emotion didn't exactly stick. I would suggest foregoing the $10 movie ticket and just rent the movie when it comes out on DVD.


Your QotD comes from my newest novel, Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I picked up this book for two reasons. One, because Patrick Rothfuss told me to and he is my second master (Joss Whedon is my first and foremost) and because Brandon Sanderson is finishing the last book in the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I have been reading that series for over ten years and it's final installment is...important to me, to say the least. It's been years since the last book came out and I'm getting a little antsy to finally read the end of this brilliant and complex story. So, of course I wanted to do a little research into the writing style of it's finisher. I am 19 pages into Mistborn and let's just say...I'm already hooked. And that's a difficult thing to come across so soon in a novel. Anyway, here's your QotD, from Mistborn:



"Sometimes, I worry that I'm not the hero everyone thinks I am. The philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms. What would they think if they knew that their champion - the Hero of Ages, their savior - doubted himself? Perhaps they wouldn't be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me the most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder - just as I do. When they see me, do they see a liar?"



That's all for this week, folks. I'll get back to you in 2009. Have a great New Years and be safe out there.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.